Dental Filling is a treatment for restoring missing tooth structure, which could have resulted from trauma or decay. A tooth gets hollow because of corrosion. Dental Filling helps to protect teeth and fill gaps by avoiding further deterioration. Dentists use fillings to repair broken or cracked teeth and the teeth that wear off due to dental habits like nail-biting, teeth grinding, etc.
WHEN IS TOOTH FILLING REQUIRED?
There are various symptoms where fillings can be required. The signs could be as below:
- Dark spots on the tooth
- A hole in your tooth
- Food stuck between some regions of the teeth
- Single or multiple cavities
- A broken or chipped tooth
- Sensitivity to cold and hot food and beverage
If you come across symptoms mentioned above, then there is a chance that you may need a filling. Your dentist will decide after conducting a thorough oral examination.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE OF TOOTH FILLING?
Tooth Filling usually is required if your tooth is decayed. A filling can prevent further damage and protect your tooth.
- Dental Filling is only suitable for decay and minor fractures, so the first step in this process is to check the infected tooth’s severity.
- The dentist then examines the tooth, and you may require an X-ray for precise information
- Depending upon the extent of deterioration, the dentist will administer local anesthesia to make the area around the infected tooth numb
- Then the decayed tooth or the areas around it is prepared for restoration
- If the tooth is damaged, then a laser or dental handpiece can be used to remove the part which is damaged
- A filling is applied to the tooth to fill the cavity. The type of Cavity Filling may vary case to case
- Finally, the finished tooth may be polished to conclude the treatment
If you have a teeth gap, then Teeth gap filling treatments such as veneers, dentures, crowns etc are required.
What may happen if I don’t get Dental Filling done?
If you have decay, then it is essential to get Fillings done. Suppose you don’t get it treated on time. In that case, slowly, the enamel (outer part of teeth) starts decaying, exposing the dentin (the hard part below the enamel). The germs in your mouth will come in contact with dentin, causing infection. On infection, you may feel sensitivity and will then want to get Fillings done. But suppose you skip this part and do not get the treatment done on time. In that case, the infection will reach the nerve, which will eventually damage the tooth. In that case one needs to undergo a Root Canal Treatment. You are also at greater risk of the infection traveling to the next tooth, making it prone to decay.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF DENTAL FILLINGS ?
Dental Fillings are of several types. The type of filling to be used may depend upon the condition of decay and other factors like a person being allergic to a material. The different kind of fillings available are:
This old age filling is long-lasting. In this type, Silver Filling is comparatively less expensive. But gold, however costly, is a preferred choice because it can withstand chewing forces and usually lasts 10-12 years.
These are widely used by dental professionals for quite long now. Amalgam filling has high strength because it is made by combining several metals.
These are made of the same color as your teeth. These are preferred if you do not want filing to be seen. It is recommended & suitable for your front teeth. It bonds well with your tooth structure and is also used for a chipped tooth; however, it does not last long compared to metal or amalgam filling and may wear off.
The porcelain filling is always best suited if you have severe aesthetic concerns. These cover most of the tooth; thus, it can be used by your dentists if the decay is large enough. Also, note that this long-lasting Filling does not stain or wear off quickly.
POST TREATMENT CARE FOR DENTAL FILLING
- Before you start eating, make sure that the anesthesia is worn off
- Do not eat anything too cold or too hot if the effect of anesthesia is still on
- Avoid sticky or hard food for a few days
- If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, then make sure you use a mouthguard to protect your Filling
- You might feel soreness around your gum area, and this will last only for a few days
- If you feel sensitivity for too long or if your dental fillings come out, visit your dentist immediately
- Maintain an excellent Oral Hygiene routine like cleaning, brushing, mouthwash & flossing
Tooth filling cost in Noida is quite reasonable. Niyama Care is a distinguished dental clinic in Noida which has a dedicated team of dentists. The team offers comprehensive dental solutions at an affordable cost.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q.1. Can my Dental Filling Fall Off?
Yes, but rare chances.
Q.2. What to do if my Dental Fillings Come Out?
Visit your dental clinic as soon as your Dental Filling comes out.
Q.3. How To Know That my Dental Filling Is Loose?
If you have sensitivity after getting the Filling done, it may mean your Filling is about to come off. Or if you feel constant toothache or pressure while eating, then the chances of it coming off are high.
Q.4. How Long Does my Dental Filling Last?
The longevity of your Dental Filling depends upon the material of the Filling. It also depends on how you take care of your Filling. The life of your Dental Filling generally varies from 10 years to 20 years.